Court of Appeals of Ohio, Eighth District, Cuyahoga
Appeal from the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas Case
APPELLANT Janice McCoy, pro se
ATTORNEYS FOR APPELLEES Mike DeWine Ohio Attorney General BY:
Theresa Hanna Assistant Attorney General Health and Human
BEFORE: E.T. Gallagher, P.J., Boyle, J., and Laster Mays, J.
JOURNAL ENTRY AND OPINION
T. GALLAGHER, PRESIDING JUDGE
Appellant, Janice McCoy, appeals from the judgment of the
common pleas court that affirmed an administrative appeal
decision issued by appellee, Ohio Department of Job and
Family Services ("ODJFS"). McCoy raises the
following assignments of error for review:
1. ODJFS erred by claiming that the appellant failed to
complete four hours of activity on November 30, 2015.
2. ODJFS erred by claiming that the appellant failed to
attend an Ohio Works First reassessment for November 30, 2015
to amend her self-sufficiency contract.
3. ODJFS erred by declaring the date of the sanction notice
to be December 15, 2015.
4. ODJFS erred by alleging that the appellant did not request
a state hearing within the time frame allotted.
5. ODJFS erred by assuming the state hearing requested on
December 28, 2015 was for a sanction.
6. ODJFS erred by claiming that the appellant was in receipt
of fair healing benefits.
7. ODJFS erred by assuming a state hearing occurred for the
request date of December 28, 2015.
8. ODJFS erred by not adhering to the dates on their own
notices that they issued.
9. ODJFS erred by insisting that the appellant sign a
sanction compliance form when the appellant did not do
anything to cause her case to be sanctioned.
After careful review of the record and relevant case law, we
reverse the trial court's judgment and remand for